IBM Watson Studio Review

Machine learning that can be applicable for other data sets without having to carry out the process all over again

What is our primary use case?

I'm looking at data analytics for division making. In the working environment, I'm looking at how we can use the system to give insights based on company data relating to employees.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the system's ability to take a look at data, segment it and then use that data very differently. What I'm referring to is machine learning which can be applicable for other data sets without having to carry out the process all over again. It's a very powerful feature. In addition, the ability of the product to firstly have the solution as a cloud solution and second, the ease of use of the application. The importation of data and then shipping it for analysis is a very easy and small process.

What needs improvement?

I'm not yet familiar enough with the product to talk about improvements but one aspect that comes to mind from what I've seen is that sometimes it's easy to get lost given the number of images the solution opens up when you click on the mouse and the amount of different tabs. It might be easy for someone to lose their way around the system. But no real complaints, so far so good.

Previously we had what you call a multiple document interface so that whatever you do, you're still within the same container. You could look at the same kind of environment where you don't have to jump between different windows. You can split a window if you need to get to some other bit of information in the system. You leave your window, and then reference that information on the same window as opposed to jumping to another window. Otherwise, you end up with too many windows and they get cluttered. It becomes hard to navigate around.

I've been using the solution for the last two months.

For the couple of months I've been using the system it's been stable. I have the metrics and I have the performance parameters to show this, and I have not had any issues warranting assistance.

I haven't had any experience with technical support.

The initial setup is very straightforward. I'm impressed. I think as soon as you get logged into the system, everything works, this is especially true with a cloud-based system. But we haven't gone commercial yet, so I'm still using the environment that has been set up by IBM itself. There may be some issues that I haven't experienced yet.

For now, we're using the light edition which is free but I'm sure once we decide to go commercial with it, we will pay some license for it.

What other advice do I have?

The general advice I would give is that people should think twice about the kind of results that they are seeking. This is general for any system, not only IBM products, but they should be aware of the resources that they're sitting on that is data.

Based on the brief experience I've had with the system, it works for me. It has given me the kind of results that I was looking for. It is stable. I want to believe that the support is equally good even though I've not had any experience as far as that is concerned, but I want to believe that based on the other parameters, the support will follow suit.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

More IBM Watson Studio reviews from users