IBM WebSphere Application Server Review

Valuable connection management and scalability but is quite expensive

What is our primary use case?

We have some services which are doubled up using Java. To deploy this research we are using the WebSphere Application Server. A lot of channel applications are consuming these services in particular.

What is most valuable?

The solution is robust. The connection management and the scalability, which IBM provides to the Stack, are also valuable.

What needs improvement?

Nowadays the industry is moving towards a more open-source operating framework.

The cost factor is huge. It's very pricey compared to other open-source stacks. In the future, we'll deal with the IBM Stack so we might move to a compact server and other open-source alternatives which are comparatively less in terms of cost.

They should make the solution more lightweight and not bundle everything into a single product.

The solution would benefit from having a different licensing model.

I've been using the solution for 12 to 14 years.

The solution's scalability is good, but there is a cost factor, which is a disappointing element. If you want to go for another node then you have to go pull up that code license model, and that produces another licensing cost.

We've reached out to technical support. I find them good, but not excellent. They aren't very quick to respond.

We were using WebLogic BL as our stack. Now we use an IBM Stack. It was about eight years ago when we switched, so we've been using IBM for a while now.

Depending on which platform you are on, the initial setup isn't too complex.

Currently, it is all straightforward, but it should be where the next generation of container-based, docker-based is and it's not there yet. Everyone wants that type of compatibility.

Deployment takes about two to three hours.

We have our in-house team who are trained in the deployment of IBM WebSphere Application Servers, so we didn't need outside assistance.

The solution is very expensive compared to an open-source stack.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed in the UX operating system.

Although the solution is good, open-source options keep getting better and better, so I'd recommend others to look into that. This solution is expensive. So is Oracle. I find open-source more innovative and they often have a good community around them that offers helpful support.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but there are basic features that have minimum capabilities that can be very dissatisfying. Apart from that, they provide good support, offer a good clustering model that's reliable, and it's properly tested with certified code.