IBM WebSphere Application Server Review

Has a lot of native connectors with legacy sistems and so for complex systems, it simplify a lot integration tasks.

What is our primary use case?

We have used it for the implementation of a web interface on very old mainframe system.

How has it helped my organization?

We've avoided the remake of mainframe application logics.

What is most valuable?

WebSphere connects with old legacy systems, like CICS and TX Series that typically run on the mainframe environment and that must be integrated with open systems.

What needs improvement?

Cloud service offering should be improved because the future is in the utilization of the PaaS provided by principal cloud providers; I mean that it would be very useful to have the possibility to use WebSphere as a service like many other tools has already done.

I have been working with this system for ten years.

I think the stability of the product is very good.

The main problem is the licensing cost of the product. The product can scale but the budget cannot. We pay for core utilization and so we have to consider and manage peaks in resources utilization.

IBM is our mail provider for DC facilities, system integration and AMS.

The initial setup was very complex due to the complexity of the already existing business logics.

We implemented the solution with IBM services.

The system is very old so it is not so easy to calculate.

The product is very expensive because PVU has to be calculated on maximun virtual cores and there is no difference between production and non-production environments.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a small system that needs to be exposed on the web for simple transations, or if you are considering a cloud environment you should consider a different solution.

I would rate it an eight out of ten because for complex system development, it is the best solution at this moment.

More IBM WebSphere Application Server reviews from users