IBM WebSphere BPMS Review

Good UI capabilities and very good speed of delivery but lacks overall stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution by leveraging IBM's setup server where we can share different products and applications. We're using it for process automation to automate, for example, application processes in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The UI capabilities of the solution are great. The speed of delivery is good.

Everything is delivered quickly and seamlessly in order to bring things to the market in an efficient manner.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to stabilize its UI capabilities and other features within the product. Lately, there have been big swings in UI. It started in 7.5 and 7.5.1. In 8.0 they completely changed the solution's UI capabilities and it threw everyone off. In 8.5 and 8.5.5 they introduced client-side and human resources. Now they seem to be returning back to the original UI capabilities.

The solution lacks acceptable stability.

The solution's technical support could be better.

It would be helpful if the solution was able to loop in the VPN as well within its general capabilities. Users should be able to implement their own choice of technology, be it Java or any other code.

I've been using the solution for ten years now.

I wouldn't say the solution isn't too stable. We've experienced a lot of glitches on the product. There's still a lot of improvement that could happen in this area of the solution.

The solution is scalable, but then, even when you scale it, the performance is an issue.
There may be scenarios where you may not be able to reach the optimal performance that you're looking for.

We've reached out to technical support in the past. We've faced a few challenges that they haven't really been able to solve.

It's rather average, on the whole, but they could work to be better and improve their services.

I do have a bit of background using a few other systems that in my opinion were better. Python, for example, is much more stable.

The initial setup is straightforward, depending on how complex is your environment and requirements are.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I'd warn people not to jump into using this or any solution without considering how they'll design their applications for it. Companies need to do their research to implement it the right way. That way, they end up getting the output they are looking for. The design is key. Once you have the design right, the implementation falls into place. Ultimately, people need to follow the right set of policies and guidelines to make the solution effective.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.