IBM WebSphere Message Broker Review

Integration is a good component feature; very scalable

What is our primary use case?

I'm part of the company middleware, and we are managing things with Spheres, IHS, and also HU and EAZ. I've just become involved in trying to sort out a roadmap to migrate the EAZ from IAB to ACS Enterprise App Connect, that's the latest IBM technology. I'm a solution designer and we are partners of IBM.

What is most valuable?

I mostly like the integration which is the component feature.

What needs improvement?

I haven't completely tested the solution. I have a CMM BPM background, and recently moved to work on this so I'm only now getting exposure in this particular area. It's difficult to comment at this early stage but I find the installation configuration is quite difficult compared to other solutions. The other issue is that I don't have cloud, and we can't get any cloud where IBM is moving. I'm not sure whether we can move this application to the Azure or AWS cloud solutions. It's a major challenge and we still haven't had any kind of official documentation from IBM as to how we can move forward on that.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

We do sometimes get bugs and hardware glitches that require a memory reboot but overall, in comparison to other solutions specific to the banking domain, this product is quite good. It's able to handle a lot of applications and has a high capacity level.

The scalability is fine. We don't just have the direct users, but there are a lot of applications and things sitting on the ESB, and a lot of integration points. We probably have more than a thousand people using the function user ID, and the personal user ID.

IBM technical support is pretty good. Sometimes it's difficult to simulate issues, or reproduce the issue to make them understand the problem. It can sometimes also take quite a while to resolve an issue. Overall, we are happy with the IBM support.

The solution was already set up when I joined the team, but we still get requests regarding all the applications sitting on ESB which is a bit of challenge. Otherwise things are fine.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a reasonably good solution but I also believe it has some good competitors like MuleSoft which has good incubation points and has a cloud solution. ESB is still in the data centers, not the extenders, and they're mostly on a non-cloud based platform.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

10.1
More IBM WebSphere Message Broker reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Service Bus
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, MuleSoft, Software AG and others in Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.