IBM Workload Automation Review

Even more automation is possible using the CLI than by using the standard features.

Valuable Features

• Valuable Features:
  • Time zones: As we are a global company, scheduling jobs in different time zone is mandatory (especially due to DST changes).
  • Web interface: Easy access for end users.- CLI: Even more automation is possible than by using the standard features.
  • User/group-based roles for access segregation
  • AD integration: To use the same user repository

Improvements to My Organization

This product has increased the level of automation with no / minimum downtime and predictable scheduling.

Room for Improvement

The web interface (TDWC) is a bit slow.

Use of Solution

I personally got in touch with it in 2003 (as soon as I was employed).

There were some stability issues with older versions we used. There have not been any on the current one (8.6.02) since we started using it, for ~3+ years.

We encountered scalability issues. There are some parameters that need to be tuned once you reach a certain level, and it is not clearly stated / explained in the product documentation.

Technical support is 4/10.

Initial setup was a bit complex, as we did it without any consultant and the coding is not perfect or the same for different platforms (i.e. Windows, different Linux flavors, Solaris, AIX, etc.).

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is expensive, but reliable (in short, you GET what you pay for).

Other Advice

If cost is not an issue, I definitely recommend it.