IBM Workload Automation Review

Dynamic scheduling helped us schedule jobs on servers with restricted access. It doesn’t have in-built monitors to capture and report READY/INTRO state jobs.

What is most valuable?

Dynamic scheduling: This is one feature which helped us achieve some important business objectives without the need to install TWS on a server. Some of the servers in our organization have restricted access and dynamic scheduling helped us schedule jobs on these servers without the need to install TWS.

What needs improvement?

• Monitoring
  • Reporting

TWS doesn’t have in-built monitors to capture and report READY/INTRO state jobs. In our environment, we use TWS to schedule jobs in SAP and without an in-built monitor to capture these, we use custom-built scripts to report jobs stuck in READY/INTRO state.

I have used the product for seven years.

There were real stability issues. The WebSphere process gets hung on TWS masters running TWS 9.1. WebSphere is used heavily in our environment and a restart of WAS is really required at least once in a month.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support was not always the best. You need a little bit of patience until the PMR is routed to the right layer of support.

Initial setup using the GUI was straightforward. However installing/upgrading a TWS master using the silent approach is a little bit tricky, as the details and the steps have to be collected from many other documents. There was no single document to help us to install the TWS, WAS, and IBM Installation Manager using the silent approach.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend other users to definitely consider TWS, as it has proven to be a powerful tool in our environment so far.

9.1
More IBM Workload Automation reviews from users
...who compared it with Control-M
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, BMC, Broadcom and others in Workload Automation. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.