IBM Workload Automation Review

The FTA agents resolve local dependencies on the workstation.

What is most valuable?

The FTA agents feature is most beneficial, as it easily resolves local dependencies on the workstation, even when there is a network disconnect between the MDM and FTA.

How has it helped my organization?

I belong to a part of the delivery module in our organization. We implement TWS in the customer’s environment. It has definitely improved many different processes in our organization.

What needs improvement?

There is need to add any type of utility which can convert workload definitions of other syntax to the TWS syntax, during workload migration and conversions. Currently, there is no utility as such with TWS.

For example, there could be one scenario, where the customer wants to switch from the existing scheduling tool to TWS. Every tool has its very own syntax for defining workload definitions.

During migration project activities, it gets very difficult for converting the existing workload syntax to TWS syntax. We need to create our own scripts or different methods, that helps us in achieving this task.

If I remember correctly, the BMC Control-M tool does have such utility of converting any workload definition syntax to Control-M based workload definition syntax, i.e., upto a certain extent. Hence, this is one area where TWS can be improved.

I have been using this solution for more than a year now.

I have not had any stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I’ve not had such a good experience with the technical support. At times, I have seen long delays in getting answers/responses.

I started out with implementing the TWS solution only.

Initially, it was complex; during implementation, I faced many challenges.

For licensing, you should proceed with the monthly job executions. Earlier, it also used to have the PVU (Processor Value Unit) license model as well. I am not sure, if this is still there.

Get clarity from IBM and accordingly proceed, depending upon the requirement.

What other advice do I have?

TWS is very much stable on the Linux platform but this doesn’t mean that it can’t go well with Windows. Looking at the OS maintenance and other patching activities, it is better to go with Linux.

Scalability is not an issue with TWS. Make sure you have all the pre-requisites met before implementing it. It will work all fine.

9.3
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
More IBM Workload Automation reviews from users
...who compared it with Control-M
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, BMC, Broadcom and others in Workload Automation. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.