IBM Workload Automation Review

Workload automation that helps track productivity and progress across platforms

What is our primary use case?

The tool is managed from offshore by another company. The primary use for it in our company providing support to our main client who is a large beverage company that needs the product to manage operations. I just act as the support interface between the client and the offshore team starting at the time I took this position as a global manager for workload scaling. I found out about this product someplace and how we could put it to use. We have been running it ourselves and with our client for a long time. It is also a part of our company's application or solution set.

The use cases for my workload purposes have to do with my applications. It works fine for scaling jobs and can interface with other systems. So it does what I need it to do.

What is most valuable?

The interface for the applications team is really the most valuable part of the product in my opinion.

What needs improvement?

The interface for the operator is not so good. I do not think it is as complete as something like Control-M by BMC Software (named for former Shell executives Scott Boulette, John J. Moores, and Dan Cloer). A few other things could be better like the scheduler and linking between jobs and dependencies.

I have been working for the last five years between the client the provider and my company.

This product is quite stable. There are no issues within the application or with the tool itself becoming unstable.

The scalability is actually quite fine. I think that right now we have around 100 to 150 users that have jobs running on it.

The offshore team is made up of about five guys that mainly take care of the maintenance tasks. At this moment, we do not actually have any plans to scale our usage. Maybe in the coming two years, we might have to. We are planning to upgrade or migrate to another tool depending on what is best for our situation at that time.

I think the technical support is great. They have been helpful when we needed something resolved.

Before working with IBM Tivoli Workload Automation I worked with Control-M from BMC.

The main differences and advantages of Control-M are mostly to do with the operator interface. The console that the operator is using is quite a bit better in Control-M rather than Tivoli, and so is the way to schedule and make the relationships between jobs.

I think the product is generally easy-to-use and that includes my experience with the setup.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others considering using Workload Automation depends on the necessity and the reality of their requirements. It depends on the complexity of the jobs. Depending on that it may be interesting to use Tivoli because it is a good tool. It is a good application to use to run workload tracking.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product between and eight and ten depending on who is using it and for what reason. I think it is quite good so I think it deserves a nine.

Additional features I would like to see included in the next release to improve and make it a ten would just be the two things I mentioned that Control-M does somewhat better for now. The interface for the operator should be improved, and the way to create relationships and dependency between the jobs can be better.

More IBM Workload Automation reviews from users