IBM XIV Review

Just pay once and forget about licenses; Performance and robustness of the systems are very good

What is most valuable?

No-license-required policy, unlike others where you need a license for everything. Just pay once and forget about licenses.

How has it helped my organization?

The XIVs here are only being used for non-production and dev systems, but still the performance and robustness of the systems are very good.

What needs improvement?

There are a few. One that comes to my mind is the pool resize restriction in the case of drive failure. Until the drive is replaced, the pool_resizing is locked. This has been an issue a lot of times, especially when the contract says IBM will not replace disks until three drives fail. (Single drive replacement can be requested as well in severe cases).

Three to four years, in this project.

No, so far there have been no issues with stability.

Average. There is IBM support on this product, but sometimes it’s hard to get support from them.

No, DS8K or SVC has always been the primary solution for this customer. For all my customers, XIV has always been a backend storage.

Initial setup was done before I joined.

Excellent.

I am not the direct customer. We can only recommend various solutions to the customer.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good but only if you have a small datacenter.