IBM XIV Review

Streamlines report production, enables easy and fast provisioning and Remote mirroring

How has it helped my organization?

Very easy to produce reporting data (Snaps). Very easy and fast for provisioning devices and Remote mirroring.

What is most valuable?

Implementing Remote mirroring and local Snaps is very easy. The ROW (Redirect-On-Write) of Snaps has no impact on production data.

What needs improvement?

• Copies
  • The power supplies
  • Expansion
  • Some Snap operations, regarding consistency groups
  • The change form synchronous mirroring to asynchronous (and vice versa) without reconfiguration from scratch

I encountered stability (performance) issues during enclosure or disk rebuild. Also some power supply issues due to malfunctions of circuits. Sometimes "internal" Snap sessions hang and consume pool capacity.

The active front-end ports are according to the ordered capacity, and new ports are activated when you order extra. The number of usable ports in a full capacity configuration (excluding for Remote mirroring) are so low compared to high-end storages. If I remember correctly, it was six modules of four ports, minus at least four for mirroring. The queue per port was 1400 (may have changed).

Very good.

Working with VMAX. Company changed due to economic reasons. (They still use multi-vendor storages).

It was amazingly easy.

EMC VMAX 10K, 3PAR, DS.

What other advice do I have?

I see XIV as a mid-range (not high-end) storage. Easy to install, small size factor/capacity, easy to use, quick to provision. Not for heavy load, especially sequential due to wide/mirror stripping. Smallest provisioned capacity is 17GB (increments by 17GB), has easy CLI, and alerting.