Icinga Review

Macros and ability to connect to Google Maps are good, but needs support for SNMP traps

What is our primary use case?

To monitor IT infrastructure. To monitor and to see transfers.

It has performed well. I like this product.

What is most valuable?

• Macros
  • Possibility to connect it to Google Maps

What needs improvement?

Trap SNMP. I saw the documentation for Zabbix, that it has its own built-in product which handles SNMP traps, and there's nothing similar in Icinga or Nagios. I think this feature is most important for me.

Very good.

Scalability is problematic. If you have a stable environment it's good, but if the environment is growing, I had some problems with Icinga.

I previously used openNMS and Zenoss.

A little bit complex, but I am familiar with it, so it was not problem for me. But I believe it would not so easy for everyone.

It is complex because you have to establish the database. There's nothing in Icinga which has own SNMP trap management, so I had to use something external. It's not so easy.

I use it for monitoring infrastructure and it was very good for that issue. But, I heard many people say that Zabbix is a better solution so I want to compare them both, to form my own point of view on that. I want to compare them, to make a decision to migrate to Zabbix or to stay with Icinga.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a product, the most important criterion is functionality.

If you have a static environment, you can use Icinga because it's very good. But if your environment is growing fast, think about Icinga but also consider Zabbix.

I think Icinga is a seven out of 10, because it's good and fast. It's not a 10 because of poor support for SNMP traps.