Icinga Review

Very basic and causes additional issues which we have to work around

What is our primary use case?

At this time we use Icinga to just do basic monitoring of our existing infrastructure. We are using SNMP Traps in all devices in addition so that when anything happens on the device it sends an SNMP alert. We can use this solution online or it can send us an email as well.

We started troubleshooting that issue as soon as we saw it. Icinga has a reactive approach. I think the solution is forewarning us but we are looking for some solution which can take a proactive initiative as well. For example, if the CPU is going too high or the net visualization is less than 90%, we should get information about such situations so that we can take actions accordingly to fix the problem.

How has it helped my organization?

It is not really adequate for our current needs. It causes additional issues which we have to work around and takes us time that a better solution would not.

What is most valuable?

I don't know what features are best because I don't like this solution, it seems inadequate, and I only use very basic features. You can get basic information out if it, like the number of devices, iOS, the model, this kind of stuff. But I am not able to find some more detailed information that is important. It may be that we have not deployed all the plugins. At this time we are not doing any research into expanding the deployment because we believe there are better alternatives. My team and I just inherited this solution by default from the previous IT person who deployed it. For now, we're just using it as it is with some workarounds. As it will likely not be deployed much longer, we are not doing any research on it or changing any functionality.

What needs improvement?

A lot of things could be improved because it has a lack of dashboards, no detailed information for reporting, no information for the audit purposes that we can send, no information about the configuration management, and very little inventory information. It is barely serving a purpose.

We have been using this solution for a little less than three years.

From a stability point of view, I think it's quite good. It has a few flaws in gathering information from virtualization and especially for configuration management. We sometimes face issues with the monitoring solution being down or it causes some abnormalities. But that is really functionality and not stability. From a stability point of view, I think it's good.

I saw another site that had different modules that could be integrated with the Icinga product but few things would still be missing if we deployed all of them. An IT or operations team must have these in their monitoring solution like monitoring of detail and monitoring virtualization. Independent of which virtualization solutions our companies use, the solution needs these things. Options like VMware, Hyper-V, Proxmox — any DBM type solution that I am familiar with already has these things.

The solution itself seems to be quite stable, as in the last six months we did not have a reason to contact support. So I can't say whether support is good or bad. But even the person who deployed it did not note any knowledgebase article in our internal ticketing system or mention that someone else opened a case. It suggests there were no problems that required support. I have no idea about how the support team responds to queries.

I've worked with many other monitoring solutions and they are pretty good and they can become very user-friendly over a little time. This solution is not comparable. We are just using it as it is but we have planned to upgrade or to have a new solution. We are looking at a solution which can do monitoring, diagnostics, and configuration management — all in one.

As an IT administrator, I'm looking to make customized dashboards based on requirements and create some modular alerts. There may be some sort of utility that we can add to the product to get some more detailed information, but I think they need to improve specifically these two areas: supporting and the dashboard. Other solutions already have them.

I was not here for the initial setup so I cannot comment on that.

The solution is costing us time and money beyond what is paid for the license.

It is relatively inexpensive and may be okay if you are a smaller organization concerned with the price more than the utility.

I was not the one who chose and installed this solution. The product was already deployed when I joined. We are currently evaluating several potential solutions including Logistics I. We would prefer it to be a modular based approach which can help us to achieve multiple tasks from a single console. That suggests dashboards and diagnostic capabilities. We will probably replace this with a higher-priced solution that is capable of more.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a small infrastructure or a small number of devices that you want to monitor, then I think it's a good solution. If you have a lot of devices or an enterprise level installation that you want to monitor, I don't think that this solution can be entertained.

I've been in IT infrastructure support for the last 15 years and I have not seen such a solution which has this very basic level of monitoring.

I would rate it a four out of ten.