IDERA ER/Studio Review

Scales easily and the support is good, but the performance for large models should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We maintain all of our enterprise models within ER Studio. This includes our data marts and our local systems. We have multiple people who use the web interface to look at the models.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product has improved the way we maintain our models because they have a place where we can keep all of them, and they can be viewed using the web interface. Essentially, it has helped a lot because we have everything in one place

What is most valuable?

The feature that we like best is the model publishing.

The web interface allows everybody to view models that are stored on the team server.

What needs improvement?

The model diagram because very clumsy when you save it on the team server and the models are very big. It becomes difficult to enlarge and difficult to print.

Although they say that it supports concurrent users, we have issues while branching, merging, and performing check-in or check-out. It's not as seamless as it should be.

Now that we are all working from home and our repository is on the cloud servers, we are experiencing issues with performance.

In general, support for big data should be improved.

I have been using this product for the last three to four years.

I would say that it is 70% stable, with the remaining 30% having room for it to be more stable.

It is scalable, given that we are on the cloud. We are able to scale it up whenever we need, especially with the team server, without any issues.

We have at least 50 users who are actively working on models and using the web interface. We also have at least 30 different users who log in and look at our models, as guests. We haven't added them as users within the repository because they don't need access to it. Rather, they just use the web interface to see the models. These users intermittently come in, perhaps once or twice a week, instead of on a daily basis.

The technical support people are pretty good and I would rate them a nine out of ten. Whatever the tool is capable of, they are able to let us know about it.

Prior to IDERA, we were using erwin. We switched for several reasons, starting with the fact that we did not find the erwin web interface allowed us to see the models as well. The team server in IDERA is better and erwin did not have a very good method available for working with models concurrently between multiple users. Overall, we found that ER Studio is much better.

Initially, when we started with the 2016 version, we found that there was a learning curve but ER Studio support helped us with it. The 2018 version upgrade was very quick and nice. The 2017 version took longer than the 2018 upgrade, although it was fine.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering ER Studio is to look at the size of their models. If they have very large models then it may not be suitable because we are having performance issues in this case. On the other hand, if they have midsized models then I think it is pretty good.

Overall, this product is pretty good. It can certainly be better but it still has features that are quite good.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)

18.1
More IDERA ER/Studio reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with erwin Data Modeler (DM)
Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, erwin, Inc., SAP and others in Architecture Management. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.