IDERA ER/Studio Review

Semantic data lineage and usability need to be improved, but it's priced well

What is our primary use case?

I have experience working with various data architecture tools, and ER/Studio is one of them that I use in this capacity. We use it either to help an organization understand what data it has got or to design a database.

What is most valuable?

It does the job. However, it doesn't work as well as other solutions.

What needs improvement?

What needs the most improvement are semantic lineage and usability.

I began working with IDERA ER/Studio approximately eight years ago, and have about three years of experience with it.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have experience working with SAP PowerDesigner and erwin.

It is on par with erwin, although I think that I prefer erwin. It is nowhere close to SAP PowerDesigner.

To this point, I've only set up trial versions, and I've not set up or installed it for an enterprise.

However, I'm probably going to be doing that in the next two, three weeks.

The price of this product is okay.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to understand what your requirements are of the system, of whatever tool you're going to select. There are loads of people and organizations that have bought this product and used it, and that's dependent upon their requirements, their needs.

Plenty of others have bought SAP PowerDesigner. Personally, and I'm self-employed, or a freelance contractor, I invested more money and decided on SAP Power Designer.

Overall, I don't like any of the features and I think that it's a poor system.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

More IDERA ER/Studio reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with erwin Data Modeler (DM)
Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, erwin, Inc., SAP and others in Architecture Management. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.