IDERA ER/Studio Review

We can maintain a data dictionary, enforce naming standards, and have a built-in macro facility, but printing ERDs on a plotter needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

Reverse and Forward Engineering are very important. The former provides a facility to generate the overall design from an existing database. The latter allows the user to 'round-trip' changes from the model to a database so as you make changes these result in actual physical changes to the database structure.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows for maintaining a data dictionary, to enforce naming standards, and has a built-in macro facility to make it easier to do complicated, repetitive tasks quickly and easily.

What needs improvement?

The print facility is a little lacking. It can be trying at times to get that perfect ERD printed on a plotter.

I started using ER/Studio in 2003 - so about 12 years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Very good. They're pretty easy to work with.

Excellent. Over the years as I've had problems with their products I always get the same employee - a great guy who knows the product.

I've used them all (I think). CA's ERWin is probably the nearest competitor. ERWin works OK, but at that time was $4,500 a seat vs. $1,800.00. It was no contest.

It's very easy to get started. Anyone who can install a software product to a laptop or PC can install ER/Studio.

It was done in-house.

We haven't calculated the ROI.

What other advice do I have?

There are only a few companies providing enterprise grade products in this area and Embarcadero is one of three. I think it's the best due to pricing and good overall support. It has the main features needed for this kind of work and is often seen as a leader.