IDERA ER/Studio Review

We're able to control check-in's of our onshore and offshore developers while maintaining schema views, but the current version does not properly generate SQL Server-computed columns.

Valuable Features

• Reverse engineering physical database
  • Compare and Merge utility

Improvements to My Organization

We have offshore developers/DBA who actively request/implement DDL changes vs. a development database. The changes are reversed-engineered into both logical and physical schemas with generated DDL for source control check-in/check-out and other environment synchronization. With both onshore and offshore development teams working 18x5 days, it is an easy way to control check-in's while also maintaining schema views.

Room for Improvement

This version does not properly generate SQL Server computed columns; future versions do this.

Use of Solution

I've used it for eight months.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

It was pretty good once the licensing phase was completed.

It's good.

I am relatively new to this company, but in previous companies I used CA ErWin and SAP PowerDesigner. ErWin is very easy to use, as is PowerDesigner. The latter also provides a free developer viewer tool. At this point, all three products seem pretty equal: I would look at the conceptual model (business process rule) capture/conversion/maintenance with dynamic links to logical/physical ER with data dictionary/MDM capabilities to possibly separate them.

ROI

Since we are just reverse-engineering existing databases, and not using it for primary design/deployment/communication, relatively low.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Review the total number of architects/DBAs who need full access and developers who need to view the model/data dictionary to determine number/types, and whether a stand-alone vs. repository version is needed.