IDERA ER/Studio Review

It's our primary means of publishing data models, but it needs to use more modern standard dialogs.

Valuable Features

• Flexible and complete compare/merge facility
  • Exposure of its automation object model which allows custom programming outside of the product

Improvements to My Organization

It has been our primary means of publishing data models for years. It also houses our product data dictionary, and generates all the DDLs for database modifications.

Room for Improvement

• Easier licensing
  • It would be nice if we could use more modern standard dialogs, such as file selection

Use of Solution

I've used it for 10 years.

It is not easy to deploy in VDI, but that is a VDI problem.

Good, although they don’t always contact you with a solution to problems if they think it’s your problem.

Setup was not complex for an ordinary desktop installation. Server installation, however, is a good deal more complex. Their portal solution is more complex still.

Implementation Team

It was done in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is expensive! Licensing requires a subscription to their support site.

Other Solutions Considered

It was selected before I arrived here, but it was evaluated against ErWin. It was the better product at the time.

Other Advice

It is a very robust, industrial strength data modeling product, intended Ideally for very large development projects where a good ROI can be obtained.