IDERA ER/Studio Review

If it natively supports your RDBMS, and you have someone to support the licensed server, it’s a great solution.

Valuable Features

There are only a handful of ERD features that I’ve needed over the years that ER/Studio DA didn’t support. It’s flexible, intuitive for the newbie and yet supports the complexity required of a seasoned database designer, and offers a clean sophisticated presentation.

Improvements to My Organization

The work of the database architect is complex. ER/Studio DA supports in a single application everything from taxonomy and data dictionary definitions to conceptual, logical, and physical data models, relational and dimensional models, reverse engineering from legacy database structures, merging and comparison between database versions, exporting of ERD images and data dictionaries and DDL from physical data models, and it does so at a reasonable price point for such a polished and feature-rich offering.

Room for Improvement

Things that come to mind that I’ve not been able to do in prior projects include:

• Support for SQL Server filtered indexes, both a means to effectively represent this in a data model and have it produce the filtered index in the rendered DDL
  • Support for some of the open source RDBMS for reverse engineering and migration

Use of Solution

I’ve used ER/Studio at various clients since 2008.

No issues encountered.

While they weren’t always able to solve my issue (feature limitations not bugs/education issues), when I did reach out to Embarcadero they were always extremely responsive and professional.

I’ve also used ErWin, Powerdesigner, Toad Data Modeler, MS Visio, and Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler. ER/Studio has the features and the price point that is easy to realize ROI quickly.

There were issues with the licensed server, but after that is was smooth sailing.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

ROI

Within a week of installation I had reverse engineered several existing databases into physical data models with basic data dictionaries and published them on the company wiki. The perception of value was extremely high.

Other Advice

As long as the tool natively supports the RDBMS databases you use, and you have someone that can support the licensed server, it’s a great solution.