IDERA ER/Studio Review

We have been able to quickly create models for our enterprise-wide databases

What is our primary use case?

To develop an underlying platform upon which to base our data governance program by creating a central repository for maintaining and disseminating logical, physical models for our enterprise-wide databases.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to quickly create models for our enterprise-wide databases, even when some of them are third-party databases. We have been able to then modify those models, breaking them down to make them more understandable. Loading these models into the ER/Studio Team Server repository, it allows us to disseminate this information to the entire enterprise.

Team Server allows us to further define those models through the use of glossaries and gives us the ability to collaborate as a data governance team to ensure that terms defined provide us a common understanding of our data. We are also able to document the data lineage and data flows of our data from one system to another.

What is most valuable?

• Modeling with Data Architect: We can quickly reverse-engineer a database from an existing database or create a model from scratch.
  • Data lineage tracking: It allows us to identify upstream and downstream systems using data. This allows us to identify downstream impacts of making changes to data in a particular system, before the downstream systems break.
  • Collaboration features in Team Server: With discussion threads, email notifications, and streams, we can collaborate with team members to make sure that models and glossaries are sufficiently defined to accurately and concisely reflect the meaning, purpose, etc. of our enterprise data.
  • Change management: We can track changes to our data models and tie those changes back to specific tasks or efforts that we identify.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better documentation/help for the Data Architect tool.

Creation of tutorials would be nice. There are some features which are not as clearly defined as they should be.

1 visitor found this review helpful