IDERA ER/Studio Review

Enables us to generate a physical model from the logical, making it easier to review with stakeholders during model validation

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for building out data models. As the DBA, I am also responsible for modeling the OLTP databases as well as our warehouse. Our databases can have well over 200 tables. Add in the views and we can hit 500 objects pretty quickly. We currently have over 30 databases. Without solid models, it would be impossible to manage all the interdependencies.

How has it helped my organization?

When validating the model, the ability to provide sub-models to developers, and generate a physical model from the logical, makes it easier to review a logical model with stakeholders.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is inheritance when joining tables. When setting up RI and domains and rules, ER/Studio does a lot of the grunt, boilerplate code that would otherwise have to be hand-coded.

What needs improvement?

The number of options can be overwhelming at times. That is not necessarily a bad thing but for a newbie, it can be daunting.

More than five years.

There was one version upgrade, I don't remember which one, that required intervention by the support team, but it was resolved quickly.

No issues with scalability.

Tech support is very helpful. I have only had to engage with them once, as far as I can remember, during an upgrade. They stuck with me until it was resolved. The initial request was responded to the same day and I believe we had it all wrapped up in less than two working days, from the time I submitted the ticket. Part of that was scheduling a time for them to remote into my desktop. Once they were in, it was resolved within 30 minutes.

I previously used ERwin but the support became very lacking.

The initial setup was very simple and easy.

Pricing is on point, but do your due diligence - not every developer needs the tool.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of options, so take the time to play with it a bit before you start doing things the hard way.