IDERA ER/Studio Review

We use the solution to create data models which describe our company's data architecture

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data modeling.

How has it helped my organization?

We have gone from having no diagrams to 50 submodels that we have been able to share with team members and even with our clients.

What is most valuable?

The modeling part of the tool. We use the solution to create data models which describe our company's data architecture. It is a mix of design upfront when we get changes. We also use the data models after we've implemented changes.

It does help in regards to redundancy with standardization across models.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be sped up, as it is a little slow (e.g., when it's doing its database compare).

The screens are a bit outdated. They could use a new look and feel.

More than five years.

It is stable.

It seems scalable. I have had no issues. The solution doesn't differ much whether we are dealing with a small database or a large one.

The technical support has been fine. I have only used them for licensing issues.

I switched from erwin to ER/Studio. I've also used Oracle Designer, K Studio and Quest Toad.

The initial setup was easy. I have used data modeling tools for the past 20 years, so it was easy to move from other tools to this one. It is an easy data modeling tool to use.

We have two users at my office who are DBAs, myself included. This solution takes up 10 percent of our roles for deployment and maintenance.

Our deployment time depends on the size of the project.

We did the implementation ourselves.

Our implementation strategy was to generate SQL out of the tools, so I could have scripts, which we could then deploy to other environments.

At my previous company using ER/Studio, a database compare took four hours before using the product and 15 minutes after using the product.

Pricing is expensive and on the higher-end.

We also looked at K Studio, Quest Designer, and SAP PowerDesigner. Until we switched over to ER/Studio, we were still working with erwin.

What other advice do I have?

You will save time, switching from whatever product you're using.

It's the best data modeling tool out there. It's fast. It can do what I need it to do.

We connected to Oracle, MySQL, and SQL Server (as data sources) to this solution.

I have plans to expand the use of the built-in tool functionality. However, I haven't had the time.