IDERA SQL Compliance Manager Review

Gives us peace of mind by enabling us to audit non-admins within databases

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it so we can audit if a non-admin does something to a database.

How has it helped my organization?

I can't really give an example of how the product has improved the way our organization functions as a whole, but for me, personally, a few years ago, it helped me diagnose a problem that we were having on one of our servers. It helped answer a question, which was nice.

What is most valuable?

The auditing feature is the most important, and then, of course, we use some of the reports.

What needs improvement?

The set up is kind of clunky, in my opinion. It's not really intuitive. If they had either a smoother install or better instructions, that would be nice.

More than five years.

It seems to be very stable.

We have not noticed any scalability issues yet.

I don't think I've ever used their tech support.

We used another product from Lumigent Technologies. We used that before we discovered Compliance Manager, and, in my opinion, and in another DBA's opinion, Compliance Manager is a far better product than that old Lumigent product.

Peace of mind - you can't really place a price tag on that. As I mentioned, a few years ago it helped me solve a problem which probably saved about a day's worth of time. It's hard to put a price tag on that.

I feel the product's pricing is a good value.

As I said, we used another product and then we found this one. So when we started using it again, we just went straight to this one because we enjoyed it, and it met our needs. I did not evaluate any other products. We were familiar with it and we were comfortable with it.

What other advice do I have?

We've had some problems with the install so watch out for some "gotchas" there. It takes a little bit of setting up. For example, if you have privileged users you have to put them in so you don't audit what they're doing, because you don't care about that piece. So there is a little bit of setup. Be prepared for some upfront time spent with it.

I  rate it pretty highly, around an eight out of ten. It wouldn't be a ten, because of the install hassle that we ran into. But it's a good product, it does what we need it to do.