IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager Review

Helps us proactively diagnose issues in our system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to look at performance.

How has it helped my organization?

With Diagnostic Manager what happens is that, when it reaches a certain threshold, it helps us diagnose the issue. For example, disk space: If it's going low on disk space, it alerts us saying, "Hey, this is the warning, and this is at this percent." It allows us to try to see, or remedy, the causes. It's more proactive.

What needs improvement?

I wish there were more tools or more you could add. There are some there, out-of-the-box, but if there were many more, with more options, that would be better.

Three to five years.

We have not encountered any stability issues at all.

The scalability is pretty good.

Tech support has been okay, not that great, but they made sure that we got what we were looking for.

When we looked at it we thought the features were good, so we started using it. We do have another similar product that we also use, it's called Cycle Monitor.

The initial setup was a little bit complicated. It was not straightforward, but the support team was able to help. I have to call out that they did a good job. I needed manuals and the support had to help me out. Every product comes with a learning curve, and there are certain things that you have to know before you can do it.

We do get good value out of it. One of the things that it is used for is to detect anything that could possibly cause our systems not to function well, and it has helped us to determine that before anything has actually happened. I can't give you what the actual return on investment would be but it has done what we aimed for with this kind of product.

The pricing is reasonable, it's comparable with the competitors.

We looked at Foglight, Toad, and one other.

What other advice do I have?

If possible do training, or work with the tech support to make sure that you have considered everything and see what the product does before you try it on your own. Doing that would be very helpful and will save time and will help you get the best out of the product.

I would rate it at eight out of 10. There are a couple of good features but it's not really intuitive and easy to use. Overall, the product is pretty good, just a little bit less user-friendly than I would like.