IDERA SQL Safe Backup Review

Test it in a complex environment. I believe we would not have bought it if our testing was more solid.

Valuable Features

I do like the central management console where you can see a global status for all your backups and manage restores.

Improvements to My Organization

Not really. We wanted to switch to something better from Seagate EVault but our goals were to have a reliable tool and to monitor all the process related to backups and their restoration. SQLafe did not save us any money or changed our business processes.

Talking about disk space savings - we did not get any because we use Transparent Data Encryption and SQLsafe cannot compress backups in this case.

Room for Improvement

Lots of room for improvement. This thing is crumbling. I have never experienced anything as buggy as SQLsafe. Backup jobs can just stuck and you will find out about this in weeks later (everything in the onsole is green and shiny). New features are available only in the Web Console and it is barely working. UI is non-intuitive and simply horrible. Classic Console and Web Console have different functionality. You cannot minimize or maximize wizards and they are always on top. You cannot filter one type of backups (full, diff or log). If you have an error your only way to get rid of it from the console is to re-run a particular backup, another well-performed but scheduled backup does not count. And SQLsafe is full of this stuff. I regret buying it.

Use of Solution

Several months.

Yes, sometimes agents just do not want to install automatically and you need to do this in manual mode. Sometimes services do not want to start. Sometimes you just need to contact their support and wait because you cannot understand why if everything is installed you still cannot connect an agent even with appropriate routing and shut down firewalls.

Yup. Usually I write one or two new letters to Idera support every week because something is wrong.

Idera is just interested in selling you something. Afterwards you can do what you want, they forget about your existence.

Satanic. If it is something from their Wiki they are ready to help. If not you can spend weeks until they shrug and tell you that they do not know what to do. I have something like ten tickets which are archived because I just got tired of giving them the same information over and over again. 5 tickets were forwarded to developers.

We used Seagate EVault before. We switched because it does not really suit SQL Server backups. It works better with simple files. EVault does not have any adequate central management.

The initial setup is too complex. Too many edit fields and check boxes. It is just over complicated without any purpose.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Do not buy it unless you have a hefty discount. Or do not buy it at all.

Other Solutions Considered

The main rivals was Dell's Lightspeed but is two times more expensive.

Other Advice

Ask for more testing licenses and test it in a complex environment. I believe we would not have bought it if our testing was more solid.

1 visitor found this review helpful