IIS Review

Simple and user-friendly interface, good integration, and easy to implement

What is our primary use case?

I am working as a Software Project Manager for a software company in their Pharma Services Division and using IIS on Microsoft Windows Server for local deployment of our pharma related .NET application. It is built in C# and used for uploading and validation of pharma-related information in a locally deployed application by a team of data associates and data analysts.

The information is then transported after validation to the web database on Azure from the local database using an internally-developed desktop application.

How has it helped my organization?

IIS is the best option on Microsoft Windows Server for hosting and deployment of .NET applications, either in a local environment or on the web.

The graphical user-interface of IIS is very easy to use and helpful in the effective management of applications.

It comes with Microsoft Windows Server by default, which makes it easier to get started for hosting .NET applications immediately, with no hassles of installation and setup of any other web server.

The integration is the best, being a Microsoft .NET application hosted on Microsoft IIS running on Microsoft Windows Server with Microsoft Database Connectors and Drivers.

What is most valuable?

IIS has a very simple and user-friendly interface, which helps a lot in effective and efficient management. The simplicity of the interface helps the newbies to learn to manage it fast.

What needs improvement?

IIS needs immediate improvements, especially in the area of security management.

Having no support for other than a Microsoft environment and programming languages limits the usage of IIS in many cases.

The capability to host and deploy open-source applications would definitely add more value to it. There should be plugins to enable it to support open-source programming languages.

It also limits us in the choice of operating systems.

IIS should be enhanced in terms of its capabilities for monitoring and debugging.

I have been using IIS on Microsoft Windows Server for more than five years.

It is very stable in its operations, hence requires minimum efforts in performance management. It is easy to keep it alive and maintain server uptime.

We have found that customer support has always been good for cases that we have raised. It has a huge user community.

I have experience with Apache Web Server, WAMP, and XAMPP.

Being a part of Microsoft Windows Server, it is very easy to set up and manage IIS.

I tried Apache Web Server before implementing IIS.

More IIS reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Apache Web Server
Learn what your peers think about IIS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.