IIS Review
MS IIS- A good web server

Valuable Features:

1. It is Microsoft product that is easy to use and to host local and public websites. 2. Unfamiliar users can work on this product. No license required because it is integrated with the OS. 3. IIS has the ability to limit the bandwidth of your web pages. 4. If the application crashes then the server and other applications continue to run and the failed application restarts the next time with the request.

Room for Improvement:

1. It is not compatible with other platforms due to limitations. 2. Users can not change the source code as per the requirements because source code is not editable. 3. Compatibility issue with other applications.

2 Comments

it_user3870VendorLEADERBOARD

Don't you think its a good idea that the source code is uneditable?

If Microsoft allowed users to edit the source of IIS then they would never be able to support it ;)

Wissam

17 May 13
it_user245406Real UserPOPULAR

I'd like to add that it was mostly the licensing that kept me from using IIS. Microsoft licensing is not very clear; I ended up talking to an MS agent. They told me that if you are running IIS, you don't need an additional license for each person to connect and view a web page, but you will need a CAL for each person using AD authentication. If you choose to not use AD authentication, such as a database username and password, then you will need an external authentication license. Most sites will have some sort of permissions and security, even if it's just logging into an admin panel of some sort (all CMS')

I asked exactly how a CAL works, and I was told that it was a piece of paper to tell MS that you are in compliance if they decide to audit you. Each license is around $40.

Apache doesn't require you to purchase a license. Microsoft does and if you don't think so, you haven't read enough or talked to the right person (even MS agents have been known to provide inaccurate licensing information).

I hope someone finds this useful. I spent about 2 hours of my time getting solid answers. A few online MS resources, MS agents, and other forums have been in agreement with what I said above.

01 June 15