IIS Review

For us it's a lightweight web host that is easy to configure for simple webpages

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to set up and use a Windows Server we had in place already to host our internal web page.

What is most valuable?

It is a lightweight web host that is easy to configure for simple webpages.

What needs improvement?

Finding different settings can be difficult if you don't know where to look.

More than five years.

Stability seems good.

We have not needed to scale out with it, as we use it for very lightweight things.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

I have tried other tools (such as Apache), and found that IIS is more stable and easier on the memory for low resource systems.

Initial setup is straightforward for a basic setup (e.g. one host hosting HTTP traffic), but can get more complicated the more features you want to add (e.g. Windows Authentication, HTTPs, web farm, etc.).

It is licensed with your Windows installation which makes it relatively cheap if you already have a Windows Server sitting around.

We also evaluated Apache, but found that IIS was easier to set up for what we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot. The features are included for free with Windows, so test it out. If you are unhappy, it is easy to disable and switch to a different solution.