Imperva Incapsula Review

There is not too much to know but that it is one of the best products of this type that you can get

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as an application-delivery platform for our entire organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is cloud-based and we do not need to have an appliance for it in house.

What needs improvement?

I do not see any big problems with the product. Imperva has had a lot of experience developing this product platform and it seems appropriate for my use cases. There are a few places where it can be improved.

An area of improvement that I was looking for in Incapsula at this moment is enhancing the policy levels. For my purposes, I think there are too few policies. The product and what is included may be good, but it has to be improved further in the area of policies.

Another area that could do with improvement is certificate management. I do not like the way that incapsula handles certificates very much. It needs to be changed or drastically improved to be more fluid.

We have to be conscious of the architecture updates. Updates for the application architecture may break the existing protection application if we have made any changes. It does not seem that this should be so big of a concern for the end-user and could be handled better.

We have been using Imperva Incapsula for six months.

The stability of the product is not usually the issue. Any stability issues would have to do more with extraneous factors.

We need to know more about the scalability ourselves. We are working on it now to see what we can do. The scalability is inherently good because it is on the cloud. There is nothing much to worry about with the scalability part. But the hands-on experience with it is something we are still exploring.

There seems to be no limit to scaling the product from the perspective of adding applications. We just put our product on the market. Until and unless the users complain to us, then we will not know if there are growing pains. It is too early in our experience with the product to get the kind of feedback that we need from them.

We have had only one serious issue after onboarding 50 applications. For one application, we have had some performance and stability issues. It was just one time over the last six months where the problem was affecting the stability. For that one application, we had severe performance issues, and we rolled it back. We are still investigating that issue. We do not know the reason yet that we had a problem with it. We do not know how many of the applications that we try to work will present problems like that. I saw problems with only two applications in total. One is application had an issue with image loading which was not as severe, and the other one was for performance issues. The performance issue was effecting web services.

Scaling, as far as the number of users, is another type of scalability. Ultimately everybody who uses our services uses Incapsula in a sense by the end of the day. This is because every application has to go through Incapsula.

We are also having to look at our own environment when considering scalability and trying to take Incapsula forward as far as we can with expansion. We have some issues with our infrastructure. All the infrastructure is not always optimally compatible with Incapsula. Because our infrastructure is not fit for Incapsula due to various reasons, we are working to resolve those issues. Those are not major things, but they are important to resolve and continue to scale, so we are working on it. It will take some time to identify everything and optimize the system. For example, if we implement something like having multiple authentications it comes with new challenges. In the end, it improves what we offer, but there are issues to consider along the way, and even before the implementation.

The tech support people are good. They are very good.

For web application firewalls we are actually currently using more than one solution. We are using both Imperva and AWS. Which solution that we use depends upon the environment and depends on the situation. So we are using both solutions but for different situations when there is an advantage to using the capabilities of one product over the other.

Installation is not complex. It is pretty straightforward.

We have two people who we use for the deployment of updates and also maintaining this solution. They are part of our team and not from the vendor or other consultancy.

In my opinion, Imperva Incapsula is not expensive compared to the other similar solutions in this category.

What other advice do I have?

I have some advice for people who are considering using Imperva. When onboarding an application, they need to be careful with their other infrastructure and systems. The concern is in part to make sure they do not have conflicts. There has to be proper authentication for authorization and the RSA (Rivest, Shamir, and Adelman, data security). During the execution of the task of onboarding, they need to be a little careful to make sure that is not creating an outage.

So what I would recommend to anyone onboarding an application is that they need to go through the architecture of the application thoroughly before implementing the solution. Do not rush to the end to get it done.

The best way to implement anything is by taking steps to avoid problems beforehand to end up with a result that has fewer issues.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Imperva Incapsula as the number one solution. There is not too much to know about it but that it is one of the best products of this type that you can get. But on a scale of one to ten, I give it a nine-out-of-ten because it is not perfect, as good as it is.

Other