Imperva Incapsula Review

Scalable, with good protection on offer and stable performance

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all our corporate websites for port 80 and 443 redirect and protecting all the web pages that we have in our environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at intercepting traffic before it gets to our data centers. It saves us some security hits and top-level bad guy stuff. It's very good at protecting us. It keeps anything malicious off of our infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

We did have a major complaint, however, they fixed it after about a year and a half of complaining. It's not a problem anymore. I don't recall really having any issues with the solution beyond what they have fixed.

The salespeople tend to exaggerate its capabilities, which can cost you money if you don't verify the information.

I've dealt with the solution for two years at this point.

The stability of the solution is very good. I've never heard of any outages that I'm aware of. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The scalability is just based on the number of licenses and in our case, we've maxed out our licenses. They are extremely expensive, and therefore it would be costly to scale.

I haven't had to call technical support, however, from what I've heard, they're okay. They are not great, not bad, just right down the middle.

The infrastructure team did all the certificates on that side. My team took care of security. It's the security settings we set up. There was a lot of complexity in the initial configuration based on our proprietary apps and having to disable or change some settings to allow some stuff to work. That's kind of a normal thing. No matter what WAF you would have, you'd have the same issue.

The licensing of the solution is quite high. Licenses are quite expensive. I'm not sure if they really offer the value that they ultimately charge.

The cost is somewhere around $10,000 a site. For every site, you pay individually. For every DNS entry, you have you pay.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end users.

We're using the WAF. It's the web-based version. Whatever's the current and newest version is what we're using.

I'd advise potential new users to not believe salespeople. That's kind of a standard thing across the industry, however, we were told one thing at the sales side, and then, after we purchased, it was not true what they said. That's extremely disappointing as it actually costs us tens of thousands of dollars more due to the fact that what they said could happen, how their licensing model works, doesn't work the way the sales guy said. That's a giant disappointment.

Overall, the solution does what it says it will do. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

More Imperva Incapsula reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Imperva Incapsula. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.