Imperva Incapsula Review

The dashboard shows us traffic, security, and real-time utilization. The default configuration usually does the trick for us.

What is most valuable?

• Very easy to configure, which quickly allows us to add significant security to our websites.
  • Nice dashboard, which shows us details about traffic, security, performance, real-time utilization and an activity log.
  • Easy to configure caching, content optimization and other advanced settings, which allows us to improve the customer experience if necessary, or keep the defaults if any change is unnecessary.

How has it helped my organization?

With our IT infrastructure more secure, our customers receive a great website experience without encountering website defacements and other fallout from attacks on our web servers. Our IT department is not spending the time we used to on website remediation after attacks.

What needs improvement?

An Incapsula website configuration instance can be in a "Pending DNS changes" state, where further work is needing to be done by the customer, while website access is otherwise fully functional. While in this state, the PCI Compliance Report for the website in question, which I have set to email me monthly, doesn't get generated and sent. Imperva should decouple the "Pending DNS changes" state from the process that periodically emails the PCI Compliance Report. Until that happens, the workaround is to manually generate the report monthly.

Since May 2014.

We haven’t had any stability issues. I get emails about internal Incapsula technical issues that they’re working on. However, they haven’t ever impacted me as an administrator and I’m unaware of any customers experiencing issues getting to our websites.

Incapsula scales nicely.

Technical support is excellent.

Prior to Incapsula, we only used inline IPS, anti-virus, etc. Incapsula is our first web application firewall.

Initial setup was very easy. The default configuration usually has done the trick for us. We simply haven’t needed to deviate much from default. Online documentation is good and if we still had questions, we contacted support who helped us make configuration changes to address our needs.

Gain an understanding of pricing for the various advanced features and figure out what features you need to meet your objectives. We have done very well with the first tier feature package to address the needs at our two data centers and our cloud environments.

We got a feel for pricing and capabilities of other competing systems. However, Incapsula came highly recommended by our trusted security VAR as they had many customers who experienced great results with it. With that ringing endorsement, and the reasonable cost, we tried it out, loved it, and have been using it ever since.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof-of-concept. It’s quick and easy to set up, and you’ll have Incapsula support to help you if needed. Embrace the ease-of-use of the administrative interface and marvel “can a WAF really be this easy?!”. Monitor the dashboard and enjoy the results. The ease of testing Incapsula and then implementing it into production is one of the most remarkable product experiences in my IT career. It’s clear that Incapsula engineers are busy behind the scenes, which is in contrast to my appreciation of what I would otherwise be doing tuning other WAF options.