Imperva Incapsula Review

What is our primary use case?

We use Incapsula as a firewall on our website which can block any suspicious attempts from the outside of the company. For example, if someone is trying to hack our website or put malware on it, it blocks them.

How has it helped my organization?

When I joined the company, one of our websites was hacked by malware (somebody put it on our website). The website went down for a long time. It took two weeks to clear the server and move everything: all the content, clean it, bring it up, and start again. By using this application, the firewall is blocking every suspicious activity and event. Now, we are safe. We have peace of mind that nobody will use malware on us or try to hack our website. With this application, we have some peace of mind that everything is blocked by Incapsula.

What is most valuable?

1. I like to see the security. On the site security, I can see which countries have incidents, whether it was a robot attack, a real human user, or non-human user. For this feature, I like it because I can see information quickly without going into long logs and details. It is very comprehensive regarding what is going on behind the scenes on the website traffic.
  2. The option saying activity launch. On the activity log, I can see the exact details, the visit, and the threat. If I click on the details, it shows me exactly where it came from, who the user agent is, and what page they tried to enter. Then, it gives me the session. Also, I have the option to put them on the blacklist or the white list. Therefore, I like this option because it is more detailed. If someone causes more than one of the incidents, then they are maybe suspicious, and we want to learn more about it. Here we can get the data, and under the data, we can see the IP addresses, therefore tracking and copying that IP address and putting it under IP lookup.
  3. The dashboard is good and user-friendly. You can easily understand it, even if you don't have any prior knowledge. Looking at it, you can easily see what is happening because it is a very user-friendly menu and user interface. I don't come from this exact background, but it seems I am supposed to manage and work with this stuff. Because of the user interface, I can understand even without having prior knowledge or education of it.
  4. The real-time option is cool as well. On the real time, you can see live traffic, which is flowing into our website.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if this application has a policy where you can create your custom policy and run it as our firewall. We should have some ability to also create some custom policy, then run it as a firewall. Maybe it is not relevant, but I think this would be a good option.

Some things previously happened where we moved one of our websites to a new host and new server, then we had difficulty putting in our user credentials to Incapsula because we could not find them. My boss was aggravated with the issue. I believe he contacted Incapsula and found out how to use the credentials for the website. They had changed the user interface a couple months ago. It was different than now. We had to put some information from the website domain to Incapsula login order to activate it, because they had changed the user interface.

It is a stable product.

It is not used at a high level, but we just put it in and configured it with our website. So, for the things that we have to run, it works just fine. I have no idea about any other scalability. However, it is just fine for the reason that we are using it.

I have never had a ticket with technical support, but I believe that they are supportive.

I was not involved with any solution in the company prior to Incapsula. When I came to this company, we were using this solution.

Someone else set it up.