Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Review

You don’t need to run scans by logging into different databases. It is monitored through the centralized console.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is vulnerability management since you don’t need to run different scans by logging into different databases. Everything can be done and monitored through the centralized console by a few clicks and without any hassle.

Also, the report generation option on a daily/weekly/monthly basis comes in very handy to the top management.

How has it helped my organization?

Some of the ways in which this product has helped our organization are:

• All the databases are being monitored.
  • All the compliance requirements can be taken care of through a console.
  • The daily and weekly reports are helpful in understanding the environment.

What needs improvement?

The stability and the ease of use of this product can be improved. I believe the product can be made more flexible and stable.

Additionally, it is very unlikely for a new professional to easily use this tool to its full potential. For this purpose, I believe a few more video tutorials can be uploaded for the newer versions.

I have been using this solution for one year.

We have encountered some stability issues. There were situations when sometimes the gateway didn’t work as expected. However, thanks to active-passive mode, none of the information was lost.

Every manager and gateway has a predefined capacity. It is very easy to scale up to that capacity. But, if that is exhausted you have to burn the midnight oil.

The technical support is good in terms of knowledge. However, the replies are not so frequent and hence can be frustrating sometimes.

I have not used any other solution before. I have only used Imperva SecureSphere 11.0.

The initial setup was straightforward. Each and every step is clearly mentioned in the manual. After the initial setup, it becomes a bit tricky.

Since this tool is far better than the competitors and manages a lot of compliance requirements, the pricing seems to be fine.

We had evaluated other solutions such as McAfee DAM and IBM Guardium.

What other advice do I have?

You should follow both the guide and the tutorials. The tool is handy only if it is implemented properly. Implementation is a bit complicated; hence, it is advisable to create documentation alongside. It would be more beneficial to use the directory present on the Imperva site before logging for any issues.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
Cheryl O'neillVendor

Thank you for the review. In January 2017 we launched a new marketing effort to generate more "how to" content to help people new to compliance and Sec Ops ramp up and learn about our technology, I hope this will address the suggestions you made regarding video tutorials.
Cheryl O'Neill,
Product Marketing Director, SecureSphere Data Security , Imperva

15 February 17
Sudarshan NarasimhanReal User

Hi Cheryl,

The central management console could do with some work too, just saying.

There is a lot of information on scans that can be customized, like the data pattern matching that we used in a project to look for specific patterns for e.g. Credit Card or SSN number patterns in DB tables or generate custom reports but the console makes it harder than it needs to be. A UI refresh for this powerful product would do wonders.

-Sudarshan

05 January 18
Cheryl O'neillVendor

Hi Sudarshan, I am no longer at Imperva, but I agree with you that the legacy console works well, but the UI is dated by today's standard. When I left in the Spring of 2017 there was an R&D project for a new centralized server that would take over some of the legacy console's functionality and add some of the modern elements teams are looking for. It might be worth asking your account manager for a roadmap presentation.

05 January 18