Imperva Web Application Firewall Review

Stable, protects well against a variety of attacks, especially DDoS

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for database security.

Basically, the solution is a web application firewall that is used to protect against multiple types of attacks online. It is used for web attacks - mostly DDoS attacks, cross-site scripting attacks, or SQL injection attacks.

There is also multiple HTTP protocol compliance. If there is any violation it will be detected by this application. It is used for detecting an illegal file type, illegal URL, or bots.

The solution can prevent a geolocation attack also. If any application is not allowed from certain countries, it will not allow access. We can detect everything via the web application firewall.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good security against a variety of web attacks.

The protection from DDoS attacks is very useful. The DDoS attack is a very powerful attack that can harm a company's services. If an application is deployed to any web server or database our service will slow and will go down. A user would not be able to access our service until we can fix the issue. It's a deal if a company can avoid getting hit with DDoS attacks and having something that can effectively protect a company is extremely useful.

The solution has been quite stable. I have not seen any bugs at all.

What needs improvement?

Until now, it is good. There are no issues. As an analyst, I simply monitor. I don't really get too far into the technical aspects of the solution.

Occasionally, I've noticed that the web application firewall was down. If we are not using proper storage, proper memory, proper CPU, and if multiple attacks happen at one time, they will be detected by our web application firewall. Sometimes our web application firewall will slow down. In that sense, it needs some improvement. We do have a precaution for if the solution goes down. We basically, need to increase the memory and the storage and the CPU utilization, so that we can prevent our company from malicious activity.

I cannot say which type of memory or storage should be improved. The requirements depend on the organization. What organizations need and which type of configurations would work best as per their requirements depend completely on that.

I've been working with the solution for about three years or so. It's been a while. I've been mostly working with it over the last 12 months or so.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches - or at least, I haven't seen any problems on that front. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Right now, it depends on the company and its needs. I can't speak to if there are plans to increase usage.

I've never been in touch with technical support. I can't speak to how knowledgeable and responsive they are, having never communicated with them directly. As an analyst, it's not my responsibility to deal with technical issues directly.

It's my understanding that this company has only used this solution. However, if I move somewhere else, it's possible that something else may be used.

I wasn't part of the initial setup. I can't speak to how easy or difficult the process was.

I am not sure of the exact licensing costs of the solution. The licensing is a management decision. The costs and payments are handled by them.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution's latest version.

We have a partnership with Imperva within our company.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been mostly quite happy with its capabilities.

More Imperva Web Application Firewall reviews from users
...who compared it with F5 Advanced WAF
Learn what your peers think about Imperva Web Application Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.