Inflectra Rapise Review

Tests are automated in no time and now they run every day. Keyword test approach is preferable to their script approach.

What is most valuable?

• Web Application Testing is very strong
  • Custom user functions can be created and easily dragged and dropped into the test project
  • Cross-browser testing is excellent
  • Report Export to Excel and Export to PDF functionality
  • Webservices test and Manual test Functionality is very good
  • Test Xpath and Test CSS tool is unique in Rapise
  • DoQueryXPath and DoQueryCss functions are unique

How has it helped my organization?

We moved to agile recently and in order to support agile delivery of our product we needed to release a new version of our software every month and Rapise helped us a lot doing so. Tests are automated in no time and now they run every day. Earlier where we used to get only 3 or 4 manual test rounds every iteration, we are now getting almost 1 a day. Rapise helped us identifying regression issues on the same day decreasing the overall cost of defect fixing

What needs improvement?

• Only support Java Script – Should have at least an option to use two languages (TestComplete gives 5 and Ranorex gives two)
  • Mobile testing is still basic and requires Appium installed
  • Built in compare files functionality
  • Keyword test approach is preferable to their script approach
  • Soap Testing Support

I've used it for two years. It has great record and playback functionality and excellent cross browser testing functionality. Automated Manual test recording feature and executing hybrid (manual & automated test) functionality is very nice.

No problem during deployment.

It has some stability issues where the tool crashes sometimes on Windows 10.

There is one small issue where the older licenses need to be uninstalled first. It would be very good if the installation process also allows seamless upgrade.

I've never used it but we do get notifications from Inflectra about product updates.

We used to use Rational Robot which is very old technology and doesn’t support all the latest platforms. We moved on to rapise because

• It supports almost all the latest technologies
  • Licenses are cheaper than other tools such as HP UFT or Tosca Testsuite
  • Installation is relatively simpler and no hassle in using the tool right from scratch

The initial set-up was straightforward. Just double clicking the exe/msi file will install the tool. I would suggest trailing on test system first. Although Rapise installation is straightforward, Spira Team configuration can be a little tricky sometimes.

The implementation was straightforward. We did not use vendor support.

We saved thousands of dollars because the Rapise implementation gave us 30 or more executions for every release compared to three or four. So huge savings on manual testing effort plus easy detection of defects is very cost effective.

I would suggest going with a single license first and then upgrading it to 5/10/20 licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Ideally, you should use Rapise with Spira Team which can be used as a version control system and also repository for automated tests. Keep Mobile/Web/Desktop Tests separate Also, make sure all the common functions are managed separately in User functions and call them in your tests using parameters. Make sure that the manual test functionality in Rapise so that all non-automated tests can also be executed as part of the suite.

Record Playback is good but can make things complex when there are dynamic object, so I would suggest learning the objects manually and creating your tests using drag and drop approach. Make use of command line execution so that it can be integrated using any continuous integration tool. Make use of JIRA integration tool – Though the integration is kind of duplication and sync but it works ifthe JIRA is your main defect tracking system

2 visitors found this review helpful