Infoblox NetMRI Review

Has the ability to track and sync through the grid

What is our primary use case?

I use Infoblox NetMRI for a number of operations, including for switch ports and management of different departments that can change e-lines from switch ports. I use it for management on our Infoblox DDI grid as well as for backup for our Cisco and follow-up equipment and address tracking from the micro-bases and the switch ports.

What is most valuable?

The features we've found most valuable are the ability to track and sync mac-addresses and switchport information of connected hosts to the the Infoblox grid, and also the configuration backups of managed devices. For our stores, we have the same type of switch in 200 locations. If we want to do a change to baseline confiuration, we schedule it and push it through to all sites at the same time, or in batches. That's what we use it for most.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they restored the network overview of all connected network items. Before it was per site, but now they've made it an overall view of everything and it's quite chaotic because everything is in it instead of per site. It would be nice if they would switch it back to how it was.

Additionally, adding your own devices should be made easier. Now you have to do it via technical support to get it incorporated into the new releases.

It would be nice if the author generated a graphic network. This could also include the ACL troubleshooting capabilities. But I don't know if that will happen.

I have been using Infoblox NetMRI for about six years

In terms of the stability, there are, or were, some bugs on the different versions, but they mostly did not crash anything. Most bugs are in the device ports and that's also one thing that can be improved if you could add their own devices that aren't supported more easily. I have to make a lot of changes to the complex Infoblox and contact customer support or the support for the device package. I know they're working on it.

Regarding scalability, with the amount of devices we have, we can do with one unit but I've read that it's easy to add to scale out with the extra units to spread the load of service coverage and manage everything.

Within our company, only our internal management department is using the solution, so that's network engineers and about six engineers from the Windows department on site. That's about 10 users at max that are in the system itself. For all the devices that are managed by it, I think there are about 600 - 700 devices that are being managed by the package.

Technical support for the devices should be improved. That should be made easier. Now you have to do it via technical support to get it incorporated into the new releases.

Before we used Infoblox NetMRI we did it all manually or used some of the open-source solutions. The network configurations that we had before were all manually configured to incorporate everything. It was more difficult.

The setup was straightforward and quite good. There's also a best practice guide that's in the community. It took about three hours and everything was up and running.

If you have the Infoblox grid and you also want to do switch port management and backups of your network devices, then I would go for NetMRI. Otherwise, if you only want the network discovery then you don't need NetMRI, then you can also do the in-site license on the Infoblox grid. You've got answerable solutions, etc.

Before choosing it we looked at the SolarWinds network port management solution, I think some others as well. But we've got it linked up to our Infoblox DDI platform. You can't incorporate that with SolarWinds because you have to incorporate it both ways, you have to sync from the DDI to NetMRI and vice versa.

For my online business, the case was an overview of visibility into the network.

What other advice do I have?

One a scale from one to ten - I would give Infoblox NetMRI an eight.