Infoblox Secure DNS Review

An easy initial setup with DNS protection and good granularity

What is our primary use case?

Typically, customers use Infoblox because they want to integrate their DNS and DHCP servers and would like to have a single dashboard to manage everything from.

What is most valuable?

Infoblox offers granularity and advanced DNS protection to mitigate DNS attacks. It's a very secure solution.

The DNS protection is wider and more impressive than what is offered in any other product. The closest competitor may be BlueCat.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer more integration with other programs, like the Cisco API. Many customers require some features from Cisco API. I don't have enough documentation yet regarding the integration with Infoblox and Cisco so I don't know enough about how to integrate the two. There needs to be more readily available documentation.

There needs to be more capabilities in order to configure the console itself instead of the user interface dashboard. Configuring the DNS or DHCP through the console instead of the GUI dashboard would be better.

Right now, there's a limitation on the CLI. In some cases, sometimes I need to use the console instead of the user interface. This isn't possible yet, however, I am hopeful it is part of their roadmap going forward.

I am a vendor that works together with Infoblox for some projects. I'm a reseller and handle pre-sales. I've been working with the solution for three and a half years.

The solution is very stable. Even if you drop the hardware, it will be okay. It's well made and quite robust.

The solution is definitely scalable. Any kind of customer can be deployed on it. However, it depends on the requirements of the customer as well. Maybe they have a branch that doesn't need to have a bigger appliance or they were looking for the smallest option. In this scenario, the solution can also cater to them. Companies can also go smaller if they need to.

The technical support has always been very, very helpful. I've been quite satisfied with their level of support and would easily give them a rating of nine out of ten.

The initial setup is not too complex. The granularity involved is easy to pick up on and manage. As long as the person implementing the solution takes the time to learn a bit about it, they should be fine. It only takes a week or two to build up enough of a knowledge base to be able to deploy the solution yourself.

What other advice do I have?

InfoBlox is a good product for managing your IP address within the DNS and DHCP servers. I believe that Infoblox can help any kind of customer manage their internal IP addresses effectively.

I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten.