Infobright DB Review

Excellent reporting server that is compatible with MySQL

What is our primary use case?

We use Infobright to generate reports for our customers. As their reporting requirements may change over time, it is useful to have a flexible solution such as a columnar-store to be able to answer them.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, we used a relational database, MySQL along side Hadoop to create summary tables to produce our reports.

Infobright allowed us to reduce the number of moving parts and complexity that we had while providing good performance to produce our reports.

What is most valuable?

Performance, compression, and compatibility with MySQL

What needs improvement?

We ran into some quirks that Infobright had. We interacted with Infobright's support and were able to resolve them.

There still are issues with data replication - Infobright is currently for one server (unless you buy the Infobright appliance). This would mean that redundancy is something you need to implement yourself.

Three to five years.

I cannot recall too many issues with stability. I would say that it is pretty stable.

It was very good for scalability, even with the limiting factor that it can only be on one machine.

Customer service was very good and very helpful.

I would rate them highly.

We used a relational database, MySQL along side Hadoop. At the time, I believe Hadoop was difficult to rely on and the operation between Hadoop and MySQL were very intensive.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We implemented it ourselves by following the instructions provided and asked for help from customer service if we ran into a specific issue.

Unfortunately, I would not be the right person to ask that. I am aware that Infobright itself was very reasonably priced.

I would advise to test your setup against Infobright and see if it performs well. Have a plan to migrate to it and what that would involve to the best of your knowledge.

Unfortunately, I was insulated from pricing and licensing apart from comments here and there.

Yes, we chose Infobright over two other brand name vendors.