Infobright DB Review

I love that the solution is a columnar DB.

What is most valuable?

I love that the solution is a columnar DB. This means that there is data compression on the disk, a fully-indexed columnstore, and highly efficient query execution.

How has it helped my organization?

ICE helped us improve the speed for the “group-by” query by 10x. The system is robust and simple (it seems to be MySQL); installation, configuration and backup are very easy. Furthermore, there is no need to fine-tune database schema objects. You can just create the tables and go.

What needs improvement?

Complex subquery and analitycal functions could be improved.

We have used this solution for about 5 years.

When running a complex subquery, the system hangs without giving the user any response.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

I used the Community Edition, so there was no support granted.

I used row-based proprietary DB for a few years. To meet my goals, however, I switched to this solution. Columnar DB are faster and are simpler than row-based solutions. With Columnar DB, there is no need to create an index, analyze the table/index, tune the structure, etc.

The initial setup very simple. It was just like installing MySQL. Our only task was to implement an effective way to refresh large fact tables, because no delete or trunc partitions are possibile in ICE. So we implemented a method to export all but the window data to refresh, and then to re-import them all.

ICE is a Community Edition product and I test it only on non-production systems. I don’t investigate licensing.

No, it was the first columnar DB I tested.

What other advice do I have?

Be carefully with complex query and subquery; ICE does not work with these queries.