Infobright Review

In the beginning of the BigData solutions boom, our company had been working with MySQL before, and Infobright gave us the ability to avoid significant changes in our data structure.

What is most valuable?

Ability to work with it in the same manner as MySQL works;

In the beginning of the BigData solutions boom, our company had previously been working with MySQL, and Infobright gave us the ability to avoid significant changes in our data structure and just use Infobright like "BigDataMySql". But there were some disadvantages, too.

How has it helped my organization?

Not improved, it just postponed the required changes, usage of Elasticsearch, Cassandra.

What needs improvement?

It was rather slow, we have had made all reports at night to avoid overload. Any tables modification (except only adding new columns to tables) was prohibited. Even new columns must be added to the end of a table.

Around two years.

I don't remember something specific, but the server failed to respond on overload and should be restarted.

There was no scalability at all. Infobright didn't permit any changes in tables.

I have no information about the technical support.

Yes, MySQL. The amount of dataexceeded the limit MySQL (free version) normally works with.

As I remember, it was a special project for the DBA to install and configure Infobright. It was not simple at all.

The price was very high for one server for a startup -- something like $25,000 per year.

No, other options required significant code modification.

What other advice do I have?

I don't suggest using an SQL-like solution for Big Data storage at all. But, if this is the case, it should be Oracle or paid versions of MySQL.