Informatica Data Quality Review

Works well and has a good interface

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is purely for data quality analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

It took us a while to teach our users how Informatica works and to help them understand. We are still learning together with them because it also took us a while to master the tool. The contractors that come with Informatica are good on the ETL side but not that good on data quality.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable are the mappings and rules. I am also impressed by the solution's interface. I really like this solution, as it works very well.

What needs improvement?

The visualization is very limited. It's not modern age, it's not self-service BI. It only has three levels of granularity on which you can present data and that's not enough. What's more, we had a few problems with the configuration. At times we found it difficult to integrate with other systems, but it turned out that the problem wasn't with the solution but with our firewalls. We had a couple of bugs but they are all fixed now.

Another feature I would also like to see is tagging. At this stage, we can't tag data in the database of the data source with particular data flows. This is a nice feature that other solutions have and that Informatica lacks. We have to analyze and store data in a database and then we have to analyze it again and go through the servers. This takes up double storage. So if the data could be tagged at the database instead, anybody who has access to this data will know if there is a problem with the accuracy or anything else.

I've been using this solution for three years now.

I don't think the solution is very stable because we have to refresh and restart the server at least once a month, or even more often. We couldn't understand what was causing this, perhaps we have a few bugs. But at times one team will be working and everything will be running, and then the other team will have some access issues. All we could do to fix this was to restart the server and then everything was up and running again.

The scalability is very good. We have about 30 users and this may increase because our organization constantly needs more people, so people see the benefit because it's stable and it gives consistency. We will probably move to big data analytics and purchase their big data applications.

To be honest, we didn't really have any major issues yet but the technical support is good and they have a dedicated tech person assigned to us by Informatica to supports us. It works well because if we have a problem that our own IT team can't fix, they use Informatica to help them.

I used IBM InfoSphere before but Informatica is much, much better; gold standard. There is no comparison. The interface and everything else is better.

The initial setup was very complex. It is mainly our own fault because we didn't go for the solution that was recommended by Informatica. We used shortcuts that backfired on us and we've been struggling for a year. In the end, we did exactly what Informatica recommended at the beginning and now everything works fine.

We have an integration team that is responsible for maintenance and deployment.

Informatica is very expensive. But luckily we got enough free licenses, so we are still within limit.

Informatica has been the best solution for the past 10 years, but now there are new tools emerging. So maybe we will switch in the future.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for it because I love it. Maybe there are better tools, but I don't know about them. I would use it in conjunction with Tableau and Google Analytics for visualization. I would also suggest others to follow instructions during the initial setup and not to cut corners. Do the configuration exactly as Informatica suggests.
I love Informatica but I am not sure if it is value for money. Organizations that plan to increase their users may find it worth the money, but smaller organizations may want to use something simpler.

I will rate this solution an eight out of ten. My rating would have been nine if the solution offered tagging and if it was cheaper.