Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog Review

Many dark data silos were identified and many hidden assets were uncovered

What is our primary use case?

We used Informatica Enterprise Information Catalog to find hidden data assets in our organization. We have data spread across disparate systems like Oracle, SQL Server, Teradata, Redshift, mainframes, etc. Informatica EIC has connectivity to a surprising number of systems and we use this to our advantage creating connections to most of our data sources. We used a 40 node hortonworks cluster and ran the scanners to crawl through our data swamp. It has ran for three days now and we have a fair understanding of our data sources.

What is most valuable?

• Lineage
  • Provenance
  • Flow of data through various sources
  • Data domain discovery to find out sensitive data.

One thing we find very useful is a feature which lets us know who are the stakeholders of a particular data source, and if you are making any changes to a source, then which users must be informed prior.

How has it helped my organization?

Many dark data silos were identified and many hidden assets were uncovered. It helped IT in initial data integration efforts. We were creating data lake-based on MapR Converged Data Platform EIC, which helped us in initial prep.

What needs improvement?

Speed. The solution is bit slow.

Six to seven months as of October 2017.

Yes. Installation of the product is bit challenging. It is not straightforward and requires many configurations.

A few bugs here and there.

Technical support and Informatica Professional Services are friendly and helpful. They helped us iron out the installation issues and provided training for our team on how to use the product.

We used to use Metadata Manager from Informatica, Ab Initio, and Ataccama Data Quality Analyzer. It was a custom made solution based on integration of the above mentioned products. It was difficult to maintain, scale, and required cross team collaboration, which kind of slowed done our pace of operations. Our team does not specialize in Software and IT functionality. EIC provided a one stop solution instead of a lego bricks like solution.

It was kind of complex. It required many prerequisites and required a team of professionals well-versed in Linux and big data technologies.

We implemented it in collaboration between our in-house IT folks and Informatica Professional Services. Informatica sent a team of subject matter experts, who had considerable amount of understanding about the project and the big data ecosystem.

We are yet to recover the full cost of the product, but it seems good thus far.

Licensing is simple, but cost is bit steep.

No. We are not aware of any other product that solves this problem.

What other advice do I have?

The product requires more polishing and hardening. It might take few more releases until the full power and capabilities of this product are unleashed.

1 visitor found this review helpful