Informatica MDM Review
The initial set up and configuration is fairly straight forward, which is one of the strengths of this product.

Valuable Features

• Matching, merging and survivorship
  • Maintaining cross reference and merge history information

Improvements to My Organization

A lot of my pharmaceutical clients had to implement an Aggregate Spend application to track how much money they are spending on their prescribing physicians. This was need to comply with the Sunshine Act and their was a need to uniquely and unambiguously identify these physicians. The Informatica MDM tool provided a very robust and cost effective solution to implement a single view of physicians.

Room for Improvement

The major area of improvement is its GUI front end. The out of the box solution call Informatica Data Director is not at all user friendly, it is a data stewardship tool. A user friendly and feature rich front end will be a great improvement.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for over eight years.

Only minor issues which can usually be resolved by the Informatica Support team.

Never when the implementation and sizing guidelines were followed.

Never when the implementation and sizing guidelines were followed.

Customer Service: Customer service is very timely and consists of very capable and competent staff.Technical Support: Technical Support is very timely and consists of very capable and competent staff.

I was implementing the Siebel UCM product before while working for Oracle. I had to switch because my client opted for the Informatica/Siperian MDM solution. I have been implementing this product ever since.

Implementation Team

I have implemented this solution with vendor teams as well as in-house ones. A rigorous Vendor Selection process including reference checks are a must if using a vendor to ensure successful implementation. I prefer to work with in-house teams so that it becomes a great learning process for everyone who will have to enhance, maintain and support the MDM application.

ROI

In most of the implementations we used relative implementation costs rather than ROI and the Informatica MDM solution is very cost effective.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It varies by the size of the projects based upon number of sources, data volumes and quality, complexities, etc.

Other Solutions Considered

Most of my clients go through a Product Evaluation and Recommendation phase during their MDM implementation and the other options usually evaluated are solution offerings from IBM, Oracle, SAP, SAS, Trillium, etc.

Other Advice

Always start by forming a robust Data Governance organization to ensure implementation of good data quality standards, policies and processes.