Informatica MDM Review

It eliminates the need to run a full tokenization process during the match and merge process, but Informatica's internal testing should have caught many of the bugs we found.

What is most valuable?

The improved interface (IDD), eliminating the need to run a full tokenization process during match & merge process allowing 24x7 access to on-line users, and its better interface in console.

How has it helped my organization?

In the previous version, over 5,000 users of our on-line customer maintenance application were unable to use the application for approximately 12 hours every weekend while the match & merge function was run. Since upgrading, the overall time to execute M&M has decreased and the on-line users are able to add, update & search for customer records 24x7.

What needs improvement?

We experienced several basic issues with the product that required daily meetings with Informatica product specialists. Several Emergency Bug Fixes (EBFs) were required to fix the issues. It was felt that the vendors internal testing should have caught many of these issues and not been found by a customer.

I've used it for six years.

Deployment was very smooth due to extensive planning between the development and application support teams. A two week outage was planned and communicated. However the overall outage lasted only eight days. Running the Readiness scripts in production for several weeks before deployment, eliminated this step from the deployment process, and corrected data issues. Also, deployment activities ran faster in production environment than they did when performing upgrade steps in other environments (Dev, Val & POC).

Several issues were encountered in production that required immediate remediation that were not found during the 10 week QA cycle. After four weeks that system is stable and the operations team is able to complete daily & weekly cycles without issue.

There were very few changes to the database, and the same number of customers were being processed. A HealthCheck by Informatica was performed before starting the process to assure that the existing infrastructure was adequate for the new version.

Overall it's very good. Once a point person was assigned by Informatica, all the issues were consolidated into a single tracking spreadsheet that was reviewed daily. Tracking tickets were still submitted, but we did receive expert attention to resolve issues quickly.

Very good. Although, most technical support is off-shore, and there were issues with working time that prevented internal staff from interacting with off-shore experts.

No – just a long over due upgrade from 9.0.1 to 9.7.1.

The upgrade process is straightforward, and well documented. This process was executed multiple times as different environments were being built. By the time the production environment needed to be upgraded, it was almost standard. A separate Proof-of-Concept (POC) environment was developed to allow the developers to “play” with the new version and test functionality.

A combination of in-house and a vendor team. It was difficult to find anyone who had expertise with 9.7.1, so both teams learned during the project. The vendor team (Wipro) did have Informatica MDM experience in various version that allowed them to contribute to the design of the upgraded system.

We have a global license which was outside of the cost of the upgrade project.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

The upgrade is straightforward if you currently have Informatica implemented. Don’t wait too long to upgrade, we waited five years between upgrades, and will not do so again. If this is you first MDM implementation, spend as much time forming data governance program as you do on the technical piece. The major vendors in the MDM space (Informatica, IBM, SAP & Oracle) have similar functionality. Informatica has been slowly integrating their legacy ETL product into the former Siperian product to make a very robust product.