Informatica PowerCenter Review

A high-performance enterprise data integration solution with a useful automated scheduling feature

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica PowerCenter to extract the data from legacy products and load it into new applications. We're using it for this purpose only. Apart from that, we use the Data Quality tool for data quality issues. We use this solution to extract and load.

What is most valuable?

I like the automated scheduling feature. Suppose we want to automate data anonymization, we have tools within PowerCenter for that. In terms of the capability of data loading features, Informatica products are better.

What needs improvement?

Support could be better. Technical support's friendly, but we should be able to get responses from them more quickly.

We found PowerCenter to be stable. When comparing the tools within the Informatica PowerCenter and IDQ, we felt that PowerCenter was more stable for data quality and extraction purposes. Through the command mode, we can do many things for loading purposes, and for all that, PowerCenter is better.

Informatica PowerCenter is highly scalable. Whether it's 4000 records, one million records, or ten million records, we did all these use cases, and it was fine.

Technical support is fine, but we got some delayed responses or didn't get proper responses in certain cases. But overall, it's okay.

We have used some other tools, but we found this solution when we had a huge dataset. We felt that PowerCenter was capable of doing the extraction and loading better than other products. We were also using Microsoft SQL Server DTS in the previous year.

It's easy for me to install Informatica. But for configuration and domain creation with multiple nodes, it will take time. If you have to do it multiple times, it'll take even more time.

For a simple installation, it's straightforward. Otherwise, it will take three to four hours for multiple nodes under multiple services. For example, if you're doing it for only an integration service, it's very simple. But for our data integration service and other services, it will take more time.

I implemented this solution by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Informatica PowerCenter an eight.

More Informatica PowerCenter reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SSIS
Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,163 professionals have used our research since 2012.