Informatica PowerCenter Review

Easy to use, fairly powerful, good integrations, and useful for quick development

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and it is quick for developing things. It is fairly powerful, and it can integrate with a lot of different platforms without much hassle.

What needs improvement?

Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much.

It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff.

Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

I have been using this solution for about 14 years.

It is stable.

It has a cluster repository kind of thing where you can add multiple server nodes.

That's actually one of the parts that are kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support. They rely on using their distributors around the globe for support. In Norway, there is a specific company that has the license to sell Informatica, and they also provide the support, which means that whenever there is a problem, you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

It requires consultants. I won't be able to do it by myself. I would need some help to do it.

Whenever we need to do an upgrade, we need to call a consultant to do it. It takes about a week for the preparation and all other stuff.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others depending on whether they are on-prem based or cloud-based. If most of their data is on-prem, I would recommend this solution. If they are not on-prem, I would recommend looking for another tool that is more suitable.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

More Informatica PowerCenter reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SSIS
Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.