Informatica PowerCenter Review
Costly yet Effective & Efficient tool for moderate sized DW projects. Performance issues with very large data volumes
Informatica has grown steadily in the data integration domain, ranking in the leaders quadrant of Gartner's analysis. It has been largely in pace with industry demands, serving a large set of requirements through various products. Not surprisingly, Informatica as a Data Integration platform is ahead of many competitors in the domain, with collective force of a product suite strengthening it's position as a leading Data Integration platform.
Here's my assessment of Informatica PowerCenter suite:
- Ease of Development is HIGH. Intuitive GUI, along with drag & connect features, bode well for developers when pressed against stringent timelines.
- Component Architecture, based on SOA, smoothens scalability and flexibility.
- Ease of Integration with nearly all market leading products and application standards, for both Source & Target. Like XML, RDBMS, Message Queues, Flat File, SAP, TIBCO, Mainframe etc.
- Seamless integration with many widely used components: shell scripts in UNIX, Stored Procedures, FTP, VSAM, Salesforce.com, Control-M, Maestro, Autosys etc.
- Enables Real Time integration and Change Data Capture.
- Well organized Community Support, Partner support and documentation.
- People availability with relevant skill level for development is comparatively easier.
- License cost is reasonably HIGH.
- Performs well for DWH of up to Moderate data volumes. When data volume grow beyond millions records per day/ week, performance degrades severely.
- Product release cycle is stiff, with frequent upgrades must to maintain relevant support level. Upgrade cost for Data Integration tool is rather tightly budgeted and hence, a challenging ordeal for Infrastructure, Development and Stakeholders.
**Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Last updated: Apr 25 2014
More Informatica PowerCenter reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.