Informatica has grown steadily in the data integration domain, ranking in the leaders quadrant of Gartner's analysis. It has been largely in pace with industry demands, serving a large set of requirements through various products. Not surprisingly, Informatica as a Data Integration platform is ahead of many competitors in the domain, with collective force of a product suite strengthening it's position as a leading Data Integration platform.
Here's my assessment of Informatica PowerCenter suite:
- Ease of Development is HIGH. Intuitive GUI, along with drag & connect features, bode well for developers when pressed against stringent timelines.
- Component Architecture, based on SOA, smoothens scalability and flexibility.
- Ease of Integration with nearly all market leading products and application standards, for both Source & Target. Like XML, RDBMS, Message Queues, Flat File, SAP, TIBCO, Mainframe etc.
- Seamless integration with many widely used components: shell scripts in UNIX, Stored Procedures, FTP, VSAM, Salesforce.com, Control-M, Maestro, Autosys etc.
- Enables Real Time integration and Change Data Capture.
- Well organized Community Support, Partner support and documentation.
- People availability with relevant skill level for development is comparatively easier.
- License cost is reasonably HIGH.
- Performs well for DWH of up to Moderate data volumes. When data volume grow beyond millions records per day/ week, performance degrades severely.
- Product release cycle is stiff, with frequent upgrades must to maintain relevant support level. Upgrade cost for Data Integration tool is rather tightly budgeted and hence, a challenging ordeal for Infrastructure, Development and Stakeholders.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Apr 25 2014