Informatica PowerCenter Review

There were many performance problems during the implementation, but you will be happy with the final result.

What is most valuable?

With this product, we managed to implement all of our ETL, including those with many sources, and complex transformations.

How has it helped my organization?

With this product we can centralize all our ETL needs in one technology. One unique team with the right expertise is responsible for developing, implementing, and tuning it. We eliminated the variety of different solutions and different technologies. This means that the knowledge and skills are not spread-out.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement is with huge ETLs, where the product has to extract large amounts of information. That's because some sources wait for others inside the map to finish, and only afterwards do they continue extracting data from other sources in the database.

I've used it for six years.

No issues encountered.

No, but after some errors, the cache directory, where we keep the temp files, fills up, and you have to drop them in manually or have a process to delete unused files periodically.

A fast SSD disk is needed for better performance to locate the temp files.

3/10.

3/10.

We previously used Oracle Warehouse Builder. We switched because Warehouse Builder generated PL/SQL code and the transformation resided inside the database. With PWC, the transformation is on a different server.

The initial setup was complex. There were many performance problems and some migrations took a long time to be implemented. After many meetings with different experts both problems were solved.

We used a vendor team, who were 4/10.

We also looked at ODI (Oracle data integration).

What other advice do I have?

Be persistent in trying to implement all kinds of transformations with Power Center, you will be happy with the final result.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
author avatarGaryM
TOP 5POPULARReal User

How is the scheduler now days in terms of supporting conditional execution of jobs and passing in dynamic parameters? Also with logging - do you still have to write your own extracts to get useful logs out of its repository? Did you use the push-down option and if so, how did that work for you? In the past these areas were sorely lacking but I haven't used the tool in a number of years.

author avatarBusiness Intelligence Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees

There is still a lack in this areas, but you can manage to solve that lack:
- The conditional execution is not directly supported. We manage to use a second workflow that write a file under the condition we want. The main workflow wait until the appearance of the file to run and then delete the file, and so on. Also the same written file, or another, can have de parameter for the execution.
- You can have a log file for each mapping execution, and you can set the log level. Also there is a tool to get reports from the repository (which has performance problem). But for some needs we had to write sql over the repository, wich is hard because there is not an easy ER model.
- We don't use the push-down. We design, and develope all our maps without that feature. We made some probes a few months ago and find that it require a re-design to get benefits (which was out of our planning). But we heard that it manage to get really good performance.