Informatica PowerCenter Review

We were able to overcome all the performance bottlenecks and to standardize the ETL layer.

What is most valuable?

We are using it to source data from Sybase database and flat files so as to load to the target Greenplum Database. The facility to do parallel load on Greenplum using gpload feature is valuable for us. Also, the ability to scale through partitions helped us to improve the performance.

How has it helped my organization?

We used Informatica PowerCenter for a re-platforming project where the earlier application was using an in-house Java-based ETL, that suffered in terms of the performance and scalability issues. With Informatica PowerCenter, we were able to overcome all the performance bottlenecks and we were able to standardize the ETL layer. The re-platformed application was able to complete the high volume batch data load in minutes, compared to the long hours it took in the old application. In addition, the year-end volume spikes are easily handled by Informatica.

What needs improvement?

In our implementation, for the initial conversion, we had to take on a large volume of data from the legacy Sybase system. This was taking a very long time, i.e., more than a day. We were trying to improve it with partitions to gpload, but we were told that we can't go more than four partitions. This was a limitation then and I am not sure if this has already been improved.

I have used this solution for four years.

Not many stability issues were experienced.

Not many scalability issues were experienced.

Technical support is good; also, we had engaged professional services during the application development.

The legacy solution was using an in-house Java-based ETL, that had huge problems in scaling for high volume batches. As part of the re-platforming exercise, we switched to Informatica so as to get a more stable and standard solution.

With knowledgable developers, the setup was not complex.

We evaluated the Pentaho solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good, scalable solution, provided the infrastructure is taken care of.