Informatica PowerCenter Review

Works with any multi-database, reduces legacy coding, and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data integration. It's a great tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces a lot of legacy coding.

What is most valuable?

It works with any multi-database, so it works with Sybase, SQL Server. Also, the performance is really good and it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It has everything we want. We were looking for a feature but they have already it in Informatica 10. We are using Informatica 9.6.1 but they added the feature we were thinking about in 10.1.

The stability is great.

Scalability, durability, everything. It is the leader in the market.

We are using technical support every year, it's part of like maintenance we get from Informatica. Year by year they are improving. They're up to the mark.

The initial setup is not straightforward. You need expertise to do it.

Licensing is a one time cost. But maintenance costs depend on what you want, how long you need it. Maintenance is a kind of insurance. With health insurance, you don't know whether you will get sick or need to go to hospital or not but you have to have insurance. It's the same thing with support.

If you have that expertise in resolving issues, if you have enough experience in your IT department, I would say you don't need the support. But in practice, they recommend you go with the support. If you want support you have to pay for it.

When you want to convert all your company products into Microsoft, the equivalent to the Informatica product in Microsoft is SSAS. That's where the decision was made to go with the SSAS as the primary option, going forward.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a small company it depends on how much data integration you need. I cannot blindly say you should always go with Informatica because it depends what your needs are and whether you can afford Informatica or not.

I would give Informatica a 10-plus out of 10 because it satisfies all our requirements, it is robust and scalable.